Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Don't Delay--Cut Up that Fabric TODAY!


Yes, you read that right.
The best way to use your fabric is to start cutting it up!  I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but it took me years to learn! (sometimes I'm a little slow)

Please stop trying to save every piece of fabric as you wait for the perfect project to put it in.  The fabric will win.  In the end, you'll get overwhelmed with your glut of fabric (some of which you will no longer even like).

You may be wondering how I know this.  Years ago, having a mountain of fabric to choose from completely  shut down my creativity.  I was overwhelmed by having so many beautiful fabrics to choose from. I couldn't make a decision and ended up not sewing any of it.  How sad.



I ended up giving away tubs of beautiful fabric to a charity group.  I don't regret that, but I also don't want to repeat the process. 

In my opinion, She with the most fabric doesn't win...She just cracks up.


Here is what I've learned to do:
1.  Choose a few basic usable shapes /sizes that work well in your projects.  I typically cut my fabric into 6 1/2" squares, 4 1/2" squares, and 2 1/2" squares.  Those are my go-to sizes that I use in scrappy quilts a lot.  I also collect 2 1/2" and 1 1/2" strips.  These sizes all play nicely for me.  You pick what works for you. You aren't married to the first sizes that you pick, you can always change them.






2.  Start cutting your scraps into these sizes.  Just cut a few pieces each day.  You'll be amazed at how your stacks of squares will grow.  (Unfortunately, you might be alarmed that your scrap pile never gets smaller!  Don't say I didn't warn you.)

3.  Next, go through your fabric stash and pull smaller pieces or fabrics that have grown out of favor.  Whack them up into your favorite shapes / sizes, too!

4.  Here's a tough one, but it's the key to keeping your fabric and quilts feeling fresh and new.  Plus it's the way to actually use those beautiful new fabrics that you bought without making a full-blown decision as to a quilt for them.  Take a deep breath (and maybe a sip of wine or a bite of chocolate)....

Cut a bit off of each new fabric that you get. 

Cutting just a few of your favorite shapes / sizes from a new fabric gets it into circulation.  You'll actually start using it and see how it mixes and mingles with other fabrics!  What a concept!--actually USING the new fabric!! 




Creative miracles await you.

Be a Quilter of Courage.  Cut your fabric Today!

blessings,
pam

No comments:

Post a Comment