Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Our Arsenal Against Colds and Flu

As I learn more about natural remedies and the immune-boosting, germ-fighting abilities of essential oils, we have more options for fighting colds, flu, and all sorts of crud this year!  Hooray!

Last week, I felt a nasty sore throat coming on.  Tennessee is a hot bed for all sorts of viral infections this year, and I wasn't really interested in becoming part of that statistic!

So what did I do?

I started drinking some Immune Booster Tea.  It's strong and surprisingly tasty (to me anyway, other family members don't think much of it!)

Then I visited my collection of essential oils to see which might help kill the virus that was setting up camp in my throat and the lymph nodes in my neck.  The good news is that there are SO many good choices!  Essential oils come from plants.  Plants have to be able to fight off infections and other assaults to be able to survive, so they typically contain compounds that are antibacterial AND antiviral!  Many also boost immunity! 

doTERRA has a line of products called On Guard.  The On Guard products contain a mixture of clove, wild orange, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary.

I applied the On Guard oil blend to the bottoms of my feet, took an On Guard Plus gelcap, and sucked on Protective Throat Drops (also containing On Guard blend) to numb my throat.  I also rubbed Deep Blue Rub on my neck and was amazed at how much it penetrated and soothed my sore throat!
I drank lots and lots of water.

As bedtime drew closer, I repeated the above and took another look at my oils. 
One of the strongest oils that I have is Oregano oil.  Oregano oil is known as a "hot" oil, which means that you have to dilute it with a carrier oil (like coconut oil, olive oil, really any oil that you are comfortable putting on your skin).  I mixed a drop of Oregano oil with coconut oil and rubbed it across my throat and lymph nodes.  I also applied Deep Blue Rub on my neck again for the throat pain. 

I was smelly as all get out!  My family steered clear of me.  I was told that I smelled like a giant pizza! I took some diphenhydramine (benedryl) to help me sleep soundly and headed to bed.

The good news is that I woke up feeling like me again!  My sore throat was gone.  I didn't feel tired or crummy!!  Hooray!  Praising God and getting on with life! 

*********

If you are new to essential oils, you must think I used a lot of stuff.  I did use a variety of things that I had on hand.  I've been collecting oils and essential oil products a few at a time for a while now.  I referred to my Modern Essentials book to help me choose from my oils.  I only used 1-2 drops of each oil that I mentioned. The oils are very concentrated.  You only use a wee little bit.  My bottle of Oregano oil will see us through many illnesses!  Such a good investment--practical, thrifty, and highly effective!   

Drop me an email if you would like to learn more about the oils or purchase some to have your own Arsenal at the ready! 

Praising God today!!

many blessings,
pam


Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor.  I am not prescribing anything for you.  I am simply telling you what has worked for me.  I am fascinated with how the oils work and happy that God has given us natural remedies and the wisdom to use them!  I am an IPC for doTERRA which is a first-class company specializing in providing high quality essential oils. 

Linked to Homestead Barn Hop and Jana's Apothocary.




1 comment:

  1. Well, girlfriend, it sounds like a Win-Win to me. You feel better and you smell like a pizza! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete